- Precautions for Storage: Proper storage is crucial to protect Bandhani sarees from damage. Before storing, ensure that the sarees are clean and completely dry to prevent mildew or mold growth. Fold the sarees carefully along the original pleats and wrap them in clean, unbleached muslin or acid-free tissue paper to safeguard against discoloration and moisture.
- Gentle Handwashing: Bandhani sarees should be handwashed with utmost care. Fill a clean basin or sink with lukewarm water and add a mild detergent suitable for delicate fabrics. Gently swish the saree in the soapy water, avoiding vigorous rubbing or twisting, as it may cause the tie-dye patterns to loosen. Rinse the saree thoroughly, ensuring all soap residue is removed.
- Drying Methods: After washing, never wring or twist the Bandhani saree. Instead, lay it flat on a clean, dry towel and gently press to remove excess water. Avoid direct sunlight for drying, as it can fade the vibrant colors. Hang the saree on a broad, padded hanger in a well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight or harsh artificial light.
- Ironing Techniques: When ironing a Bandhani saree, it is essential to use a low to medium heat setting. Place a clean, thin cotton cloth over the saree to protect it from direct heat and prevent any damage to the tie-dye patterns. Iron the saree on the reverse side, applying gentle pressure. Avoid ironing over delicate embellishments or zari work.
- Professional Cleaning: If you are unsure about washing a Bandhani saree at home or if the saree has intricate embroidery or delicate fabrics, it is recommended to seek professional cleaning services. Professional cleaners have the expertise and knowledge to handle such delicate garments and can ensure proper cleaning without causing any damage.
- Safe Handling and Storing: When wearing a Bandhani saree, be mindful of sharp objects or jewelry that could snag or tear the delicate fabric. Avoid contact with oils, perfumes, or cosmetics that may stain the saree. After wearing, gently fold the saree along the original pleats to minimize creasing and store it in a cool, dry place.
Conclusion: Bandhani sarees are not only beautiful works of art but also cherished symbols of tradition and culture. By following these care tips, you can preserve the beauty and integrity of your Bandhani sarees for years to come. Treat them with love and attention, ensuring proper storage, gentle washing, careful drying, and safe handling. With these maintenance practices, your Bandhani sarees will continue to be treasured heirlooms that can be passed down through generations, showcasing the timeless elegance and rich heritage they represent.